I’m obsessed with really good food, fun vacations, cool music, cheesy jokes and I really, really, really LOVE photography.

I am a photographer that works out of both New York City and Connecticut and I love shooting couples, engagements, weddings, kids & families, and I am always down to travel anywhere!

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Manhattanhenge

Every year, only twice a year (in May and July I believe) the Sun and the street grid in Manhattan line up exactly. The sun aligns perfectly in between the buildings on the the east-to–west streets of the city, hence the name "Manhattanhenge", similar to how the solstice is used at Stonehenge in England.
It's a pretty cool site to see, the sun rolls by as this giant orange ball between the chaos that is the city streets of Manhattan. It was my first time experiencing it and apparently it was about 80 other peoples first time as well, I had to fight for a spot over the Tudor City Bridge. Apparently I didn't get the memo you are suppose to show up 2 to 3 hours before sunset to claim your photographic territory, because when I strolled up 15 minutes before sunset I had to deal with this

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Being tiny and short doesn't help the matter either. But, all in all everyone was there for the same cause-to shoot this pretty awesome coincidence (question is still out on whether the grid of the city streets were actually built like this on purpose back in the day), as the sun rolled by 42nd street everyone cheered, clapped ("...gooooo SUN, you can do it!", seriously! Some people even brought wine (?!?!?!?!?)) and shot like crazy.
I'm not sure photographs do this event justice as it was pretty awesome in person, but still it's pretty cool in pictures too dont ya think?

PhotobucketPhotobucket


Photobucket

PhotobucketPhotobucket

In Black and White it looks pretty awesome too

PhotobucketPhotobucket

PhotobucketPhotobucket

1 comment: